Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Secondary Navigation

Main page Content

History

In 1873 Monkland had become a township in its own right, and the mines within the area produced some of the richest gold return figures of all the mines within the Gympie area. With the area established as a small town the families who moved to the area began to form a movement to create a school to educate their children close to their homes.

Mr John Clowes of One Mile Creek in Gympie filed a request with the Department of Public Instruction, on 2nd November 1880 to provide a school within Monkland. With One Mile so close the department was not obliged to provide a new school within such close proximity to an established school.

The parents of students who would be eligible to attend Monkland State School, refused to accept this decision and through numerous correspondence and petitions. In 1883 after meeting with a delegation of patrons and parents of students Mr R. Newcombe Ross finally sought tacit approval from the minister and the school started to become a reality.

From the outset parents and citizens within the community had been committed to the development of a school within Monkland and four years later they were rewarded for their persistence and tenacity. The first principal Charles William Hermann Reinhold entered 75 names on the first attendance roll on the opening day of the school. He remained with the school for 12 years before entering politics and retired in 1923.

From these difficult and humble beginnings, the parents and citizen association of the Monkland School have continued to hold true to the values of those original parents. Their commitment and tenacity have continued to create a school community that we can be proud of.